Gun Safe is one of the many things that can help you keep the gun secure. You would not want someone to steal your gun and use it for something illegal, right? Or, even worse, you don’t want your kids to harm themselves by messing with a gun. Also due to the legal obligations and new laws, it has become a necessity to use one of the best gun safe around, and you can check the gun safe reviews right here.
There are 20+ new gun safe models being launched in the market every quarter, and each of them have some of the unique features you’ve never heard before. To be honest, most of them are useless but some of them are unbelievable in terms of features and pricing. If you pick up any random gun safe from an online store, there are chances that you’ll face problems such as lock malfunction, delay in opening, solenoids fail. Hence we suggest you choose the gun safe recommended by our expert’s team.
Best Gun Safes For Hand Gun Storage
Things aren’t really different when it comes to storing your pistols securely, either. Here too, you need to be concerned about factors like accessibility and sturdiness of build.
Do you have just one handgun to secure? And, do you want to access it as quickly as possible? Then, we will recommend GunVault SV500 SpeedVault Handgun Safe.
- The construction is strong and can withstand physical hits and other attacks.
- You can decide a 4 digit code, which itself provides a multitude of possibilities.
- Just in case, there is a backup key as well.
- You would not have to press buttons or pull the cover to access the gun.
- It comes into your hand as soon as you enter the passcode combination.
- It’s powered by Digital Combination lock.
- The locking system is powered by a 9V Battery, which lasts for some time.
- Comes with all necessary hardware for mounting, which we found really useful.
- It looks good when mounted on wall or table.
Just have one look at the safe and you’d know how easy it is to mount the safe onto your wall. Then, by entering an easy combination, you can access the gun as it slides out. The drop-down drawer is probably what makes the gun safe unique and productive.
First Alert 5200DF Portable Handgun or Pistol Safe is another great handgun safe if you keep affordability on top of selection criteria. Quite ironically, it also happens to be one of the best-built gun safes on the list.
- It comes with a standard gun case design, which perfectly fits almost everywhere.
- It’s a single-pistol safe and doesn’t expect to put another one into it.
- The opening and closure mechanism of the safe is pretty smooth that you’ll love it in emergency situations.
- No See Locking Keypad on the device, which is easy and foolproof.
- There is also a backup key system if anything goes wrong.
- It can be bolted or mounted too
Construction of First Alert 5200DF Portable Handgun or Pistol Safe is what steals the show. If the 18-gauge Steel build doesn’t impress you, the efficient locking mechanism will surely do that.
From the first to tenth or hundredth use, you can have the same smoothness while opening and closing the safe. While there is no confirmation from the manufacturer, this safe should withstand primary kind of attacks.
At the end of the day, First Alert 5200DF Portable Handgun or Pistol Safe is the best affordable handgun safe out there.
If you are looking for a standard yet worth-what-you-pay gun safe, SentrySafe Pistol Quick Access Gun Safe is the best choice. We find it quite accessible and secure at the same time, thanks to an easy-to-access design as well.
- It’s basically a handgun safe that lets you store up to 2 pistols, and the safe has dedicated space for both pistols, which is great.
- Comes with solid steel-based construction and is also dry resistant. The strut of the safe makes sure that true quick access is enabled.
- Just as you have come through the security pattern, the gun safe makes your pistol available for drawing.
- It will be an awesome feature, given the space for putting some magazines too.
Although SentrySafe Pistol Quick Access Gun Safe doesn’t come with mounting features, you can keep that somewhere safe. Also, you can choose Biometric, Electronic or Keyed Lock for protecting the gun from kids and intruders in that case. If you are purchasing the electronic version, make sure you keep a pair of spare batteries, because the battery consumption is a bit high.
This would be the perfect choice if you’re looking for an affordable yet efficient handgun safe, probably for home use. It’s also one of the most affordable handgun safes you’ll find in this list.
- Comes with a key-based security system.
- You will have to keep the key with you all the time, but that seems okay for quick access too.
- It follows the standard and common design, which accommodates only one pistol at a time.
- Apparently, this gun case is giving importance to portability.
- You can easily carry this around or keep it inside your car, for that matter.
That having said, if you can arrange things in a good manner, you can include some extra components and even another handgun.
In fact, we included this safe for the high-quality build that we didn’t expect for the price tag. The best part is that, because the inside is universal, you can store almost everything that fits maximum space.
It might not be the best safe out there, but, for the price you’re paying, it’s something worthier. We’d recommend this case if you need somewhat a safe place to keep your gun from children’s access.
So, this should be your choice if you have multiple handguns to keep track of. Another pick from GunVault, it packs the standard features that you’d be looking for.
- First of all, you have enough space to keep two or more handguns, along with necessary magazines.
- The Digital Combination Lock system is not only effective but also smart.
- One feature we loved is that it will block the unlocking process if someone enters the wrong PIN for multiple times.
- No-Eyes type of design, you can unlock the vault even in dark.
- Also, the 9V Alkaline battery gets you rid of the task of usual replacements.
- For multiple handgun storages, it’s the best choice, indeed.
Construction aspect of GunVault GV2000S Multi Vault Standard Gun Safe is a pretty impressive tool. Although it looks like a box, don’t expect that someone can open the 16-Guage steel construction with their hands or some tools.
It’s tightly built and the locking system goes in sync with the design. Depending on how you like to draw the pistols, the vault can be mounted vertically, horizontally or from other angles. It doesn’t matter whether you have two, three or more handguns, you will find the best options here above.
Best Gun Safes for Long Guns – Our Top Recommendations!
Long gun safe is also known as a rifle safe, this type of safe often resembles a cabinet and can protect the firearms from fire and unauthorized use depending on the selected features.
This would be our perfect for a rugged long gun safe. Of course, the price tag is somewhat expensive, but this is an extreme-duty gun safe.
- As the name says, you can ideally store up to 22 long guns in that cabinet.
- It’s a 2-hour fire-rated design, meaning that the case can handle fire for two hours uninterrupted.
- There is a lot of space for a diverse set of gears and accessories.
- There is even an internal re-locker that should protect you from physical attacks.
When we say this gun safe is an extreme duty, we mean it. It even exceeds the regulations set by the California Department of Justice. We also loved the way Steelwater has arranged the total cabinet space. It also feels easy to set up the gun safe.
We found multiple security options in Steelwater Extreme Duty 22 Long Gun Fire Protection. You can choose one from Combination Lock, Digital Keypad and Key Lock in Dial. This is something great for convenience as well. No matter what, we would recommend this gun safe for the quality build. Such superb is the crafting so that it can withstand almost all types of attacks. That’ what you want when you store 22 guns, right?
If you ask us which is the best long gun safe, we’d recommend this. It’s pretty expensive for a gun safe, but the security aspect is just awesome.
- An all-steel constructed safe, it has a capacity of 14 Cubit feet, which is enough for up to 30 long guns you have.
- You will also find plenty of space for handguns, magazines and even some other accessories you want to keep secure.
- With 1 ½ inches thickness in total, Mesa Safe MBF6032E 14 Cubic Foot 30 Rifle Gun Safe can resist fire up to 1750 Degrees Fahrenheit.
- The customizable keypad lock and programmable time delay make the safe more of a security hub for people.
Even in case of unpredicted disasters, your guns would stay safe. The locks have been designed punch-resistant and drill-resistant. As if these aren’t enough, this long gun safe can withstand drops from a 2-story building too.
The Digital Lock system in Mesa Safe MBF6032E 14 Cubic Foot 30 Rifle Gun Safe is pretty impressive, and it’s quite powerful for the price you pay. In case the digital method fails, you can always use the backup keys. Altogether, it’s a great choice if you don’t mind spending a bit more.
One of the highest-rated rifle cases in Amazon, V-Line Quick Access Keyless Long Gun Safe is my favourite as it comes to securing rifles. If not for the high-quality build and perfection, we’d recommend this for its best-in-class accessibility.
- The best part is that you can easily mount this gun on your wall or install it upright, keeping it completely accessible and stable.
- As far as space is concerned, V-Line Quick Access Keyless Long Gun Safe can easily accompany a single rifle, and some magazines. Don’t expect that you can put multiple long guns here.
- Coming to the locking system, you’ll spot a Keyless High-Grade Lock on this equipment. In case of emergency, you can always use the mechanical lock, which is a relief.
- You can choose any of the 5-digit code as the entry key, offering utmost security.
That having said, there will be no compromise on build quality, either. The build is so perfect that it can manage almost all types of attacks, keeping the firearms safe as ever. We also noticed that it feels really easy to use the doors, which is cool.
While the locking system isn’t super-hi-tech, you can get things done with that. So, this is the best choice when you need a compact, easily accessible and mountable long gun safe.
The 12-Guage Steel construction is just one of the many features that make Winchester Ranger Gun Safe one of the best choices in the market. Despite an intermediate price tag, it offers many features.
- Pretty spacious and you can store up to 24 long guns in this single cabinet, thanks to a well-organized and well-thought design.
- The fireproof design also makes sure that your guns are safe even at 1400 Degree Fahrenheit temperature.
- It also has a perfectly crafted hinge that ensures protection and is easy to open and close.
- Crafted in Granite color, this gun safe should fit right in your bedroom or someplace else. You would not even have trouble in hiding it either.
- Despite the problem of quickly-dying batteries, the Digital Lock system of Winchester Ranger Deluxe 19 Gun Safe is awesome.
It even alerted us when the batteries were dying out. That having said, it’s always good to keep some spare batteries with you — just in case. Altogether, this is the best if you are looking for spacious design, ultimate safety, and standard accessibility.
If you are looking for an affordable choice, I’d recommend going for Stack-On SS-16-MB-C 16-Gun Security Safe, which is pretty feature-rich too.
- Supports up to 16 firearms, you can easily fit more than 10.
- Comes with a tray organizer, which helps you divide space according to the types of firearms you have.
- The design is pretty helpful from the easy-access point of view as well.
- Pretty lightweight and easy to set up.
- You would not have to worry about attacks or outrages.
It needs to be noted that the safe comes in two variants, depending on the type of lock that you want — a Combination Lock or a Digital Lock. If you want that instant convenience of pressing a few buttons and opening the vault, you can go for the Digital Lock. At least, there is space for choice.
As far as the protection is concerned, Stack-On SS-16-MB-C 16-Gun Security Safe is offering the standard set of security features. There is no mention of fire resistance, although the material can surpass drill attacks. Altogether, for an intermediate budget like this, you will love this gun safe.
Well, these long gun safes are pretty much the best ones you can find nowadays! We’ve put efficiency and accessibility on top of the selection criteria.
Gun Safe Comparison Chart
Why Should You Have a Gun Safe?
Let’s make this quick. We believe you don’t consider guns as some toys. You might have purchased for many purposes, including hunting or more probably self-defense, right? As much as the gun can help you, it has a potentially dangerous side too.
Obviously, when you purchase the gun, it’s registered under your name and you will be responsible for every action that is performed using the gun. It means that you need to know the possible outcomes of having your gun lost or stolen. And, if the thief does something illegal using your gun, you will still be held responsible in the court of law. In other words, it’s solely your responsibility to make sure that no one other than yourself will have access to the gun — be it a rifle, pistol or something else.
This is where a gun safe comes in handy. You can use the gun safe to keep the guns safely and to make sure that unauthorized access doesn’t happen. As you have seen above, all the safes have one or another type of locking mechanism. This mechanism makes sure that only the owner — or, someone who knows the PIN or passcode, for that matter — will get their hands on the gun.
So, the primary aim of purchasing a gun safe is to protect yourself from the consequences of having it stolen or lost. You will find many gun safes that come with inbuilt options for wall-mounting or simply being placed in the trunk of your car. For someone who is prone to misplacing things, a gun safe would be a blessing for sure.
It’s not the only use. There is another possible issue if you leave your firearms around — children. Not many of you would have the habit of keeping the gun and ammo in separate locations. So, just think of the situation if your children get their hands on a gun. Obviously, being a parent, you need to prevent these things. You’re actually cutting down the risks of children accessing the gun when you purchase a gun safe and put a pistol or rifle inside. In most states and countries, it’s a law too. if your home has children, the gun must be placed in a safe, thus reducing the possibilities of chaos.
Then comes the situation of emergencies and loss. Let’s talk about emergencies first. As you know, things might happen at any time, causing a lot of issues. If there is a huge fire at your home, chances are, the gun may be destroyed. This isn’t something you can afford, given the expensive price tags and legal formalities of owning a pistol.
By purchasing and using one of the best gun safes — which should have protection features such as fire-resistance and corrosion resistance —, you are protecting the gun too. What’s more, some companies offer enhanced insurance benefits if you have been using the gun safe for a while. Don’t you think these are enough reasons for you to purchase a gun safe for your long guns and handguns?
After all, you’re actually spending thousands of dollars for your own protection. So, why hesitate to spend a bit more for its protection!
How to Choose the Gun Safe for You?
As to the question of how do we choose the gun safe, I’ve quite a detailed answer. I’ve considered many aspects of accessibility, security, build quality etc. of every gun safe that’s recommended. Also, a few of the common concerns were addressed, because I’m someone who uses multiple guns and gun safes on a normal day.
I hope you know that there are two major types of guns – Long Guns and Handguns. The former type is used for hunting-related purposes while the second category is seen at homes, for self-defense! In this article, I’ve covered both best long gun safes and best handgun safes, so that you can choose with ease.
With thousands of gun safes available in the market, it would be indeed a tough task to choose the best one for you. So, here, we have listed some of the important aspects you should look for in every gun safe. If you follow them, you will hopefully have the best-suited gun safe for your rifle or handgun at the end.
Size and Accommodation
A bigger gun safe doesn’t mean that it can accommodate as many guns as possible. Every gun safe would be having a threshold and a recommended number of firearms that can be stored. For instance, most handgun safes we’ve covered above are single-gun storage. At the maximum level, you may find space to keep a piece of ammunition as well. But then, people have different requirements to fulfill and its size and accommodation do matter.
It’s always recommended to go for a gun safe that’s big enough. So, if you are someone who may purchase more guns, you would not have trouble in storing them. Also, make sure that the total size of the gun safe has correspondence with the storage space because some gun safes use more space for protection.
Different types of locking systems are available in gun safes, letting you make your decision. For instance, it is possible to find Electronic Lock, Digital Combination Lock and Biometric Locks in gun safes. While Biometric safes are noted for the convenience of use, Digital Combination Locks are less expensive and common.
Also, mechanical locks are recommended by people who don’t want to meddle with batteries and electrical issues. So, before you finalize the gun safe to purchase, you must choose the suited type of locking mechanism. Our favorite one will be Biometric, although it poses the issue of batteries going down.
Storage or Protection — Your Call
You need to make your requirements clear — whether you are getting the gun safe for simple storage or for protection of the weapon. If you are going for the latter, the gun safe should be offering you protection from threats like fire and dust. It should also prevent the gun from getting issues like corrosion, which is very common actually.
On the other hand, if you just want a place to safely keep the gun, you can go for many of the minimalistic gun cases out there. There is one exception though: if you are planning to keep long guns and a lot of ammo, you should go for a gun safe with fire-resistance and drill-resistant capabilities. They do cost a bit more, but anyway, you’re spending for protection.
Quick Access or Not
This is another aspect to consider, depending on how often you use the gun. But, we should also consider a point of emergencies, where quick access is necessary. Well, there is a specific type of gun safes known as the Quick Access Gun Safes. They are designed in such a way that you can easily draw them from the safe in case of emergencies or attacks. Even the locking system would be arranged in that manner. So, before you’d finalize the purchase, you need to finalize this selection between convenience and storage. In any case, we’d recommend going for a mountable gun safe, which offers the benefits of quick access at the end. We hope you are clear about these.
Once you have made your choices from these viewpoints, you can go to the simpler things like price and warranty. Just making one thing clear: don’t compromise quality and warranty benefits for the sake of some monetary discounts. At the end of the day, what matters is whether your firearms are protected.
So, this is the ultimate list of best gun safe for the money you can find on the market. As mentioned earlier, we’ve reviewed all the products individually and have considered the aspects of other customer reviews and brand identity. When it comes to protecting your firearms, be it long guns or handguns, you can rely on any of the mentioned gun safes. We hope you find our gun safe reviews useful!
Best Gun Safe Reviews 2018
Mesa Safe MBF6032E 14 Cubic Foot 30 Rifle Gun Safe
V-Line Quick Access Keyless Long Gun Safe
Winchester Ranger Deluxe 19 Gun Safe
Steelwater Extreme Duty 22 Long Gun Fire Protection
SentrySafe Pistol Quick Access Gun Safe
CARETAKER Metal Lockable Gun Case
GunVault SV500 SpeedVault Handgun Safe
If you own a gun, the gun safe is must have an option for you because of the gun safety reasons. Depending upon the type of gun, i.e handgun or long gun, there are numerous variations of gun safes of various types - available in the market.
We have spent 6+ months testing various gun safes at our labs and here is the curated list of the best gun safes along with every individual gun safe review. This will make your gun safe buying decision bit easier.